Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Student Stories are Here!

     I'm a huge fan of ClassDojo and have been using it in my classroom off and on for years. I've even led PD with teachers in my school on how to use CD. The first 5 years of my teaching career were spent teaching a combination of 6th/7th/8th grade language arts and social studies. During that time, if I used CD, it was, unfortunately, inconsistent. I found it difficult to utilize in the jr high classroom, and I didn't always have the tools to implement it effectively.
     Last year, due to a restructuring of our district, the jr high moved into the high school building, and I was moved down to teach 4th grade as a result. I rediscovered CD again and found it to have so many new features that made using it so much easier. I was able to use it for the entire year, and my students and their parents loved it.
     After one year in 4th grade, the decision to departmentalize 4th-6th grade caused to me move, yet again, back to jr high! Even though I didn't have real success using CD in the past with jr high students, I'm not going to let that stop me this time. I've spent a ton of time planning how to make it effective. I've gotten so many ideas and pieces of advice from being a part of CD's Mentor Community on facebook, so I feel so prepared to start and end the year using CD as my tool for motivating positive behavior.
     This fall I am looking forward to using Student Stories in my classroom above and beyond anything else. CD has made it possible for teachers to help students create a digital portfolio that is instantly shared with parents. Last year I used Class Story to share incredible moments from my classroom with parents. I'm still able to do that, but I also get to share individual moments.
     Each class gets a QR code that students can scan on an iPad to be able to tag themselves in their pictures or videos.
     I plan to print several copies of the code for each class and display them around the room so they are in close proximity for all students. I have a set of 5 iPads to be used by my students, and this is a great use for them.

Students scan the code from the sign up screen on the ClassDojo app.



They can choose to upload a photo or a video.


They can tag themselves and whoever else is in the image/video or is responsible for the work in the image or video.


The teacher gets to approve all posts, so he/she can make sure that no posts are inappropriate or include the wrong students. 



Teachers can also post to students' stories from a computer. Right now it's only available to use and view on ios, but the great group behind ClassDojo is working to reach other platforms by September. I can't wait to see what kinds of things my students are going to share with their parents. Stay tuned for more ClassDojo posts in the future, as I'm sure I'll be discussing my positive triumphs throughout the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment